Tuesday 7 February 2012

William Tomkinson 1921-2012


My Dad died on Tuesday, 7th February 2012. William “Bill” Tomkinson not only gave me life, he gave me football.

He took me to my first-ever game at Tonbridge (those days without the Angels), principally to see Charlie “Cannonball” Fleming, an ex-Sunderland centre forward, on his way to retirement via Bath City, and this led to my own life-long affiliation with Tonbridge Football Club.

In 1958, he always swore that he took me to see the Busby Babes in their last game on English soil, the legendary game that finished 5-4 to Manchester United, his own lifetime passion, having been born in Stockport in 1921. I can remember that he went to that game but I’ve never been convinced that I went with him, but how I would love that to be true.

For Christmas 1965, Mum and Dad bought me tickets for all the games played at Wembley during the 1966 World Cup, including the Final, another memory to be cherished which needs no explaining.

I was able to start repaying my debts of gratitude to him in 1968, when I was able to get him (and myself) a ticket for the European Cup Final win against Benfica at Wembley.

After Mum died and wishing to involve him we started taking him to Gillingham, he enjoyed it of sorts, but always complained they kicked the ball in the air too much, nothing much has changed there then! But I’ll never forget the hug that followed our Wembley win in 2000.

Rest in Peace Dad, if you see Big Duncan Edwards in Heaven’s Stadium, tell him he’s still the Greatest and raise a glass, but not too many, with Georgie Best.


No comments: