Sunday 7 July 2013

Bromley 0 Gillingham 3

Match 03/13/1030 - Saturday, 6th July 2013 - Pre-Season Friendly

Bromley (0) 0
Gillingham (3) 3 Dack 28, Barrett 35, Kedwell (pen) 39
Att. est 600

Entrance: £5 Senior
Programme: None issued
Mileage: 76/156

Match Report

Pre-season is not only about players getting match fitness, teams getting a settled pattern of play and managers finding his best eleven prior to the season start. It is also about those on the sidelines getting their eyes accustomed to watching games again and their concentration fully focused on what they are watching. On the evidence of this game, I need a lot more pre-season games before I’m fully match fit.

I’ll get my excuses in first, this was a really hot day, far more appropriate for the game of cricket that was being played on the adjacent field. I deserted a preferable place along the length of the pitch that was bathed in hot sunshine for a place under the roof of the stand behind the goal that offered some shade.

Martin Allen once again picked two elevens, one for each half and given the heat this was a wise move. The strongest team played the first half and whilst the second half team was made up mainly of youngsters there was the significant inclusion of the returning Adebayo Akinfenwa.

As the game kicked off, the loudspeaker that had clearly announced the teams turned into a high-pitched whistle that was pretty irritating so I decided to move a few seats along to save my ears. Whilst my back was turned there was a cheer from the Gillingham fans that had made the trip as Bradley Dack turned in from close range, but my dismay at missing the goal was short-lived as it was disallowed for offside. The visitors were once again denied the opening goal when a tap in from Charlie Allen was also ruled out.

After half-an-hour, Gillingham second half team took to the corner of the sidelines offering a good photo opportunity for a shot of the Big Man. So, of course, while I’m peering through the camera lens, Dack is beautifully weaving his way through the Bromley defence for the opening goal. Also among the players being put through their paces was Antonio German, newly acquired from Brentford and whilst I sought that particular shot, Adam Barrett was tucking home Gillingham’s second goal. I wouldn’t have mind had I not realised that I was, in fact, focussing on Devante McKain!

With mind fully on the job, I was at least concentrating as Myles Weston was brought down in the box to allow Danny Kedwell the opportunity from the penalty spot to give Gillingham a three goal half-time lead.

Goalkeeper Stuart Nelson was the only player to continue into the second half as the youngsters rather laboured in the heat. Bayo showed that his beautiful touch has not left him, but he obviously looks a couple of weeks behind in the pre-season training, but then he always looks a couple of weeks behind! I spotted the sign in front of me (pictured left), believe me it was directed at those on the terraces, not Bayo!

The Big Man showed a lightning turn of place as he chased down a ball that was being shepherd out by a Bromley defender, “he's coming to get you” shouted a Gillingham supporter, “I thought he was going to eat me”, retorted the defender.

Overall, this was a satisfying performance from Gillingham on a bowling green of a pitch. There were high class performances from Bradley Dack and, in the second half, Stephen Gregory. At least, during the time my concentration was in tune, they were the outstanding players. But, like the players, this is the time to blow the cobwebs away and be ready in the first week of August.

No comments: