Thursday 22 September 2016

Tonbridge U18 4 Phoenix Sports U18 0

Match 28/16/1336 - Monday, 19th September 2016 - FA Youth Cup 1QR

Tonbridge U18 (0) 4 Sollis 41,50,83 Chapman 90+1
Phoenix Sports U18 (0) 0
Attendance: 172

Entrance: £2
Programme: With entrance
Mileage: 38/2,653

So far, retirement hasn't brought me much satisfaction. True, I don't miss the driving to London every night and it's pretty good getting my body clock back into the normal day-night mode but, more than anything else, I miss the daily banter of my ex-workmates. One great positive is that after over 20 years of being restricted to Tuesday night football during the week, I can now go any evening I like and with that I have discovered Tonbridge's Under-18 side and they are an absolute pleasure to watch.

I'm not saying it was all my own doing but I put out a plea on the Tonbridge forum that this side were worth watching and hoped a few extra would turn out for this FA Youth Cup tie. The response was brilliant, 172 paid on the night and putting that into context that is five more people than attended the senior side's FA Cup tie at Wingate and Finchley on Saturday.

After a lively start from Phoenix Sports with a first minute effort that Lewis Mitchell did well to tip over the bar, Tonbridge gained the upper hand and produced some eye-catching football that produced chance after chance. Henry Ikeije was the first to test the visiting goalkeeper before the night's eventual star man, Sid Sollis, shot narrowly wide. After 17 minutes, the goalkeeper palmed away a well taken free kick from Tommy Chapman, who's deliveries throughout the game left me thinking that perhaps there is another Wheeler in making.

The opportunities continued to mount through what began to look like an unlikely goal-less first period but four minutes before the break, Sollis drove a shot low into the bottom corner from the edge of the box to break the deadlock. Sollis might have doubled his account two minutes later after a splendid pass from Chapman but the goalkeeper saved well.

Five minutes into the second half, following a corner, Sollis hooked in from close range. At this point, a little mellee ensued and this is something I have noticed in the game at this level, whether it is youthful, testosterone-charged, but there does seem a bit of needle. I mentioned this to a refereeing friend, who told me this age group is probably the worst to officiate.

Sollis completed his hat-trick with seven minutes remaining finishing a pass from Richard Frempong into the bottom corner and celebrated in front of his enthusiastic fan club in the main stand.

In time-added a shot from Chapman was deflected past the goalkeeper, but the lad deserved a goal for a fine performance that on another night when Sollis wasn't scoring a hat-trick, would have been recognised.

I didn't expect them to, but Tonbridge Under-18s have become part of my retirement plan!

No comments: