Monday 9 October 2017

Gillingham 0 Portsmouth 1

Match 40/17/1490 - Sunday, 8th October 2017 - League One

Gillingham (0) 0
Portsmouth (0) 1 Kennedy 46
Attendance: 8,163

Entrance: Season Ticket
Programme: £3
Mileage: 58/2,732

Match Report

Just don’t call me fickle …

For 41 years I’ve taken the rough with the smooth, the downs with the all too few ups. I’ve wildly celebrated a last day victory that ensured that Gillingham remained in the Football League; I’ve lamented FA Cup defeats at Burscough, Brackley, Welling and, worst of all, Maidstone. I’ve watched some shocking teams with some rubbish managers; I’ve watched on as scandal surrounded the club, we've had more days in court than Judge Rinder. Life has never been easy as Gillingham supporter, but I knew the ride would never be.

But enough is enough.

Mr Scally has my season ticket money, it is not for him to worry, at least in the present, whether I take my seat or otherwise. But, I’m not going to be beholden to the club anymore. I will choose the games I watch because I can no longer tolerate the basket case that is Gillingham Football Club.

To lose to Portsmouth is no disgrace, let’s face it at present there are 22 better sides in the division than Gillingham, but how do you go through an entire game without managing a shot on goal?

The players are just not good enough, but don’t blame them. They were put on the pitch by the previous manager that was hung out to dry by a chairman that has withdrawn any investment into the club whilst drawing a substantial salary regardless of the bottom line on the profit and loss sheet.

Whilst I cannot condone the supporter who accosted Mr Scally at the end of the game and was met with a retaliatory punch from the chairman, I can fully understand his frustration.

I cannot be bothered to go into the game in any detail, suffice to say that Portsmouth won the game with a goal, 30 seconds into the second half, when a shot came back of the post for Kennedy to react the quickest and convert the rebound.

The rose-tinted followers can point to a penalty appeal that could have been given for a foul on Shaun Clare and a goal that was ruled out after 65 minutes.

But let’s no kid ourselves this was dismal stuff.

This will not change, whoever the incoming manager might be, until Mr Scally has gone and I’m not holding my breath on that one.

No comments: