Wednesday, 22 November 2017

Tonbridge Angels 2 Thurrock 1

Match 62/17/1512 - Tuesday, 21st November 2017 - Bostik Premier

Tonbridge Angels (1) 2 Elder 42 Akrofi 51
Thurrock (0) 1 Spence 90+1
Attendance: 251

Entrance: £6 Senior
Programme: £2.50
Mileage: 38/4,006

After the thrills and spills of Saturday's encounter with Needham Market, this may have seemed routine, perhaps even drab, but achieving back-to-back wins for only the second time this season might prove to be significant as Steve McKimm endeavours to put this season back on track.

Whatever the reason, Champions League on television, leaving aside Saturday recent poor form, the turn out of just 251 was desperately disappointing.

After just 20 seconds Ryan Worrall struck a shot at Thurrock goalkeeper, Jake Jessie and after three minutes, Reece Morgan went into the referee’s notebook in a portent of what was too come in a first half in which the visitors can only be politely described as robust.

Nathan Elder saw his seventh minute header hit the top of the bar followed quickly by Alex Akrofi rounding Jessup, who had strayed a long way from home, but firing his shot across the face of goal.

Every now and then Thurrock put together a few passes that belied their away form of not a single point and when Dennis Oli was through on goal it took a fine save at the ex-Gillingham striker’s feet to stop the Essex side taking the lead.

Akrofi’s livewire performance was undoing Thurrock time and again and their yellow card count rose to four as they struggled to contain him.

Despite their dominance, it took until three minutes before the break for Tonbridge to break the deadlock. A free kick was delivered into the box by Joe Turner that was flapped away by Jessup on to the unwitting head of a defender with the rebound falling kindly for Elder to hook the ball home.

Just six minutes into the second half, the Angels doubled their advantage when a low, driven cross from Jack Parter was met by Akrofi who got in front of his marker to touch the ball home.

Tonbridge were in cruise control and chances to put the game to bed came and went and then, into added time, a cross to the far post found Lewwis Spence free to head home and set up a twitchy few minutes that really should not have happened.

No comments: