Wednesday, 16 May 2018

Ashford 4 Tonbridge Invicta 4

Match 136/17/1586 - Tuesday, 15th May 2018 - Les Leckie Cup Final

Ashford (2) 4 Jones 34,70 Forster 35,49
Tonbridge Invicta (2) 4 Ramsell 6 Knight 21 Hogben 85 Moore 90+5
Attendance: 161
Tonbridge Invicta won 4-2 on penalties
After extra time, score at 90 minutes: 4-4
Played at Sevenoaks Town FC

Admission: £3 Senior
Programme: Included
Mileage: 46/8,701

Match Report

Sometimes, when you least expect it, a great game of football unfolds in front of you. The roller-coaster that is trotted out all too regularly could not have rang any truer. Tonbridge Invicta were 2-0 up, 4-2 down and took the game into extra time with an equaliser just 15 seconds from the end before extra time failed to produce a winner and the penalty shoot-out ensued.

Tonbridge Invicta looked to be cruising after opening the scoring after six minutes when Kane Ramsell caught Ashford goalkeeper, James Atkins, off his line and from around 35 yards produced an inch perfect shot over his head.

Invicta doubled their advantage after 21 minutes when a bad mistake from Bryan Pearce who was caught in possession by Ramsell who crossed for James Knight to score.

When Tonbridge’s Ramsell curled a shot against the bar after 30 minutes, Ashford had barely got themselves into first gear, but four minutes later, it was as if somebody had finally flicked the switch.

Ashford’s Josh Jones picked off a woeful clearance from Invicta’s goalkeeper Sam Jenner to weave his way through three defenders before firing home.

Within a minute Ashford were level. Jones got to the bye-line to cut the ball back to Matt Forster to score from close range.

At this level you quite often spot a player whose ability defies their physical appearance. Ashford’s Stephen Cowell might be a few pounds overweight but he could pick a pass and his 30 yard pass into the path of Forster allowed the striker to shoot into the bottom corner for a 49th minute 3-2 lead.

Ashford took control of the game and could have gone further ahead just past the hour when full back Ben Hunt’s double effort firstly was blocked by Jenner with the rebound coming back off the bar.

The game looked sealed after 70 minutes when Jones was allowed acres of space to fire into the bottom corner.

A lifeline was handed to Invicta five minutes from time when a free kick was headed home by Ollie Hogben from 12 yards.

With caution being thrown to the wind, Atkins did well to touch over a strike from Invicta substitute Josh Marshall.

It looked like the sands of time had run its course when a cross from the right wasn’t collected by the goalkeeper which the ball running loose, the first attempt was blocked but the rebound fell to Jack Moore to stab it home with just 15 seconds remaining.

Both sides went for the kill in extra time which was a credit to Step Seven players whose fitness levels were remarkable but neither side was able to find a winner.

Invicta’s Jenner saved low to his right the first penalty of the shoot-out before the fifth penalty, with the score at 2-1 to Invicta he saved again. Although, Ashford’s goalkeeper brought the scoreline to 3-2, he was unlucky with the winning spot kick from Kyle Walker as he saved but the ball spun from his grasp to cross the line and start the celebration for Tonbridge Invicta.

Picture: Lee Chambers

No comments: