Thursday 23 August 2018

Gillingham 1 Sunderland 4

Match 25/18/1618 - Wednesday, 22nd August 2018 - League One

Gillingham (1) 3 Eaves 3
Sunderland (3) 4 Maguire 4, Honeyman 17, Power 19, Maja 59
Attendance: 8,438

Admission: £17 Senior
Programme: £3
Mileage: 56/1,215

My first trip back to Gillingham since disposing of my season ticket left me excited at the prospect but not knowing what to expect either of the team, who had made a solid start to the season, or myself. Would I be thinking that I’ve missed this, even at this early stage, or not?

The first thing that I didn’t miss was the inability to park anywhere close to the ground. One-up for the Longmead car park! The road down which I normally turn was closed for roadworks and this led to a meander around a dozen and one streets looking for a space. Admittedly there were 8,500 people in the ground, but this was just about the worst trouble I’ve encountered in about 30 years parking the car.

Eventually, my bum touched my seat just as the referee blew his whistle to start the game. I needed that perfect timing as within three minutes Gillingham were ahead when a Luke O’Neill cross was met with a towering header from Tom Eaves to give them a perfect start.

My reaction was everything I would have wanted, 44 years of loving the club doesn’t disappear overnight. Out of my seat and punching the air with all the delight of a kid at Christmas.

But, just as quickly, that turned to the head in hands that has been endured the majority of those 44 years.

Some sloppy defending allowed a header to travel to the far post from where Chris Maguire was able to convert with a close range, unchallenged header.

The despair quickly doubled and trebled as the impressive George Honeymoon was proffered the freedom of Priestfield to plant a right footed shot, albeit with a deflection, into the top corner after 18 minutes and, two minutes later, woeful defending from Bradley Garmston allowed Lyndon Gooch to set up Max Power.

Gillingham, to their credit, fought hard to recover and created chances but against a side like Sunderland, who should only have a one season sojourn in League One, you have to take them.

Another poor piece of defending, this time from O’Neill, robbed in the middle of the field saw the ball tapped home by Josh Maja to place a particularly unfair reflection on the scoreline.

In essence, I already know that I have made the right decision to switch my primary allegiance to Tonbridge. I have revelled in my involvement with the club. That is not to say that Gillingham won’t be the first club for whom their result I seek and I will be in attendance at every available game but, no, I’m not missing them.

No comments: