Thursday 22 August 2019

Gillingham 2 Blackpool 2

Match 16/19/1740 - Tuesday, 20th August 2019 - League One

Gillingham (2) 2 Jakubiak 9,37
Blackpool (2) 2 Kaikai 41 Gnanduillet 45
Attendance: 4,390

Admission: Free ticket
Programme: £3
Mileage: 44/1,185

So my pledge to stay away from Priestfield until the day someone other than the Fat Scottish One was the Gillingham manager lasted just two games. A blank Tuesday evening and a free ticket was temptation too much, so I swallowed hard on humble pie and went back on my word. And, to be honest, I am glad I did because I saw an entertaining game that despite the result that leaves Gillingham still searching for their first win on the season and offering those that are to be at Priestfield each game plenty of hope for the future coupled with the prospect that they are going to be entertained, one of the issues that drove me away in the first place.

That they threw away a two goal lead was disappointing but their last 15 minute barrage on the league leader's goal was thrilling and praiseworthy. How Blackpool survived was through last ditch defending and a lack of a little finesse in front of goal from the home side.

It made for a thoroughly enjoyable evening, but these days sadly, a game at Priestfield is not that far removed from a game at Cray Valley in terms of partisanship. There were only four players on show in the Gillingham side that I could truly recognise leaving a sense of being something of a neutral. But I celebrated the goals and felt the disappointment at the end, so the little bit inside me refuses to die.


No comments: