Monday 1 May 2023

Crowborough 1 Newhavan 2

Match 112/22/2119 - Monday, 1st May 2023 - Southern Combination Challenge Cup Final

Crowborough (0) 1 Lambert 90+2
Newhaven (0) 2 Franzen-Jones 60 Bennett 75
Estimated Attendance: 300
Admission: £4
Programme: With entry

New Ground: 354
Mileage: 145/8,006

Groundhops don’t always go to plan and it’s fair to say that this one was a bit of a ‘mare!

A new ground in Hassocks, of the Southern Combination, plus a cup final for Crowborough, who feature some Tonbridge youngsters, on a Bank Holiday was a temptation not to be resisted.

Let’s start with the world’s most wondrous and, at the same time, frustrating invention, the satnav! Now, I understand that traffic itself is going to dictate the journey time but what I don’t get is why Google Maps on my phone gave me a distance of 40-odd miles in one direction but the satnav in my car, supposedly driven by Google Maps, takes me in a different direction for 70 miles and then, fails to find the actual place!

Consequently, I was late for the kick-off, car park full and didn’t do my walk round to view the ground from different places. Hassocks is a pleasant little ground, in a rural setting, with a full length stand one side and the clubhouse on the other with a grass bank behind one goal and flat standing at the other end.

At least it was still goalless when I finally took my place and viewing the remainder of the first period it was easy to see why although Crowborough did rattle the bar after 40 minutes through Ollie Hyland.

The game livened up in the second half. Newhaven scored the opening goal on 70 minutes direct from a corner through Lukas Franzen-Jones, arguably against the run of play, although Martin Grant had been forced to save well in conceding the corner.

Five minutes later, it was 2-0 with a cheeky back heel from Charlie Bennett following a scuffed shot that wasn’t going to trouble anyone.

By this time, and to make my day complete, the heavens had opened and, I mean opened as torrential rain lashed down with the small amount of cover in front of the clubhouse quickly taken. As the match entered time added and absolutely soaked, I decided enough was enough and made for the exit making it out of the ground as a cheer went up to celebrate Jacob Lambert’s consolation goal for the Crows.

Some days are just not meant to be!

No comments: