Thursday, 5 May 2016

Tonbridge U16 5 Tunbridge Wells U16 0

Match 97/15/1302 - Wednesday, 4th May 2016 - Ryman Under-16 League

Tonbridge (2) 5 Taylor 7, Cussen 37,86, Fenton (pen) 57, Baker 74
Tunbridge Wells (0) 0
Headcount: 100

Entrance: Free
Programme: None
Mileage: 36/6,849

Despite Tunbridge Wells contributing greatly to an entertaining game, Tonbridge cruised to an easy victory and with it the Ryman Under-16 League title. This completes a hugely successful season for the Angels' year groups with league titles at Under-14, 15 and 16 years.

Unfortunately, with no team sheet, I was initially unable to name the Tunbridge Wells players, but on a later edit, some of the Wells names were able to be added thanks to Graeme Fussell.

The Wells started brightly and Rhys Bartlett shot very narrowly wide after just three minutes and a couple of minutes later Sammie Mcleod hit a post. They were to rue their misses when two minutes later Jack Cussen stood up a cross for Guy Taylor to head home.

The match went into a fairly end-to-end, certainly competitive encounter, until the 36th minute when Cussen buried a shot into the bottom corner after a measured pass from Jack Fenton.

Tunbridge Wells opened the second half brightly as well but wasted a good opportunity when the Luke Davies shot over and once again they were made to pay when after 55 minutes they conceded a penalty through a push on Olly Baker. Fenton converted from the spot.

I then added to my education of youth football when I was informed of the rule of rolling substitutes!

Tonbridge were now in control of the game and it took a blinding save from the Wells goalkeeper to deny them a fourth. This was not long in coming when Laws crossed for Baker to tuck in from close range.

The Wells' keeper excelled again with another fine stop before, with seven minutes to go, Cussen wrapped up the evening with a fine shot from the edge of the box.

I must add an honourable mention to the smallest lad on the pitch, Tunbridge Wells Harrison Hatfull, who had a terrific game at right full back and looked a good prospect.

According to my watch, with three minutes to go, the referee decided that enough was enough and called the game to a premature end, perhaps something else I didn't know about youth football!

No comments: