Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Metropolitan Police 4 Tonbridge 0

Match 96/15/1301 - Tuesday, 3rd May 2016 - Suburban Shield Final

Metropolitan Police (1) 4 Unwuachu 43, Alexis 52, Chislett 76,
Brown 88

Tonbridge (0) 0
Headcount: 70
Played at Corinthian

Entrance: £2 Senior
Programme: £1
Mileage: 70/6,813

A poor performance from Tonbridge Reserves saw them surrender the Suburban Shield to the Metropolitan Police with a rather heavy 4-0 defeat. Lucky to go into the break just a goal behind, they conceded two more of a similar nature to the opener. The Met Police right winger, Rhys King, getting to the bye-line and producing a cross for a tap-in. The fourth goal was a nightmare for substitute goalkeeper, Aaron McGuigan, who missed his kick allowing the Met player to walk the ball in. It was a far cry from last year's stirring comeback from the Angels to secure an extra time win against the same opponents.

The opening 35 minutes were largely uneventful with Ethan Chislett causing the Tonbridge defence significant concern whilst a Jack Brivio shot that narrowly cleared the bar was the best effort from the Kent side.

After Raul Alexis had fired wide, Rory Spence had Tonbridge's best chance of the half. He got a fortunate break of the ball to send him clear, but one-on-one with the goalkeeper he took too long and the 'keeper smothered his shot.

Two minutes before the break the Police took a deserved lead. A cross from King was touched home by Ifeanyi Onwuachu from close range.

Controversy arose literally seconds before the break. A Tonbridge player received attention for an injury received in a challenge that was deemed a foul by the referee. When the free kick was taken, as the ball was in the air, the referee blew his whistle for half-time as it was headed into the net. A touch of the Clive Thomas's from years ago.

Just two minutes of the second half had elapsed when King crossed once more for Alexis to tap-in to double the Police's advantage.

Tonbridge's best outlet was Jermaine Johnson and he created an early chance for himself, but delayed his shot and was closed down.

Tonbridge were pressing early in the half but a poor touch from Spence and a some dithering from the same man when offered opportunities denied them chances.

The Angels had the ball in the net after 69 minutes from a Brivio header but this was chalked off for offside.

Fourteen minutes from time, the same scenario, King into the box and Chislett to touch home the Met's third.

Into the last four minutes, Tonbridge had the opportunity of a consolation goal when they were awarded a penalty for a push on Callum Taylor. Royce Greenidge, who had a poor game, struck his penalty to the goalkeeper's right, but Kosakis was equal to it, pushing it away to safety.

A minute later a nightmare moment for Aaron McGuigan, substitute goalkeeper from half-time, when he missed his kick in attempting a clearance which allowed a Met Police substitute, Brown, the luxury of walking the ball into the net.

Metropolitan Police, a much stronger side than last year, could complete a League and Shield double when they make up their games in hand whilst Tonbridge have finished their season, at present, in fourth position.

Team photographs courtesy of David Couldridge

No comments: