Thursday, 8 February 2018

Erith Town 2 Crowborough Athletic 6

Match 90/17/1540 - Wednesday, 7th February 2018 - SCEFL Challenge Cup QF

Erith Town (2) 2 Warden 3 Milton 33
Crowborough Athletic (1) 6 Treleaven 26,79 Phipp 97,115 Attwood 105,110
After extra time, score at 90 minutes: 2-2
Attendance: 62

Entrance: £5 Senior
Programme: £2
Mileage: 70/6,497

The three pairs of socks that I had donned had long since given up being an effective form of defence against Jack Frost when Ross Treleaven’s shot from 12 yards consigned 62 people to a further toes-numbing half-hour. Young Sidney Warden might have made himself a hero to those longing for the warmth of the car heater when he ran clear three minutes into added time but he agonisingly pulled his shot wide and extra time was confirmed.

At kick-off time, it felt a degree or two warmer than the previous evening at Corinthian and the hosts, Erith Town were quick out of the blocks when Osman Proni crossed for Warden to tap-in after three minutes.

Erith made a good fist of the first period against their high-flying visitors from East Sussex but Crowborough gained parity in the game after 25 minutes when a free kick from the left hand edge of the box by Treleaven took a heavy deflection to wrong foot the goalkeeper, Adam Molloy.

The ever-verbal Dan Ellis made a fine save to deny Erith's Jim Day before Ollie Milton took a cross from the right to convert from close range to regain the lead for the home side. Milton also spurned a great chance just before the break to double their advantage.

Crowborough emerged from the dressing room a far more committed side and it appeared inevitable that an equaliser would not be too long coming. But as the clock ticked down and chances slipped away, Henry Muggeridge headed wide much to Ellis’ disgust who made his feelings felt from the length of the pitch asking the Crows captain if he had shut his eyes. Molloy saved low to deny Trevor McCreadie and Treleaven fired straight at the keeper.

It was a good game being played out in front of us but the temperature had really dipped when Treleaven levelled the score.

Crowborough finally had their host's measure in extra time and once they had got their noses in front in the 97th minute with a carefully placed shot from the edge of the box by substitute Tom Phipp they swept Erith aside.

On the cusp of the break and five minutes into the second period Zac Attwood scored a pair of goals to put the Crows three in front. That advantage encouraged me to safely miss the last few minutes and as I took a fairly slow walk towards the exit, Phipp fired in a shot at the far post to make it six to confirm my retreat to the relative warmth of the car.

No comments: