Friday, 23 March 2018

Lordswood 2 Whitstable Town 3

Match 104/17/1554 - Wednesday, 21st March 2018 - SCEFL Challenge Cup SF 1st Leg

Lordswood (0) 2 Wells 75, Kane 81
Whitstable Town (2) 3 Gillman 7,21 Freeman 51
Attendance: 101

Entrance: £3.50 Senior
Programme: £1
Mileage: 36/7,115

Match Report

The evening didn’t start well with roadworks right outside Lordswood’s club entrance that necessitated a hideously long diversion for what was a matter of another 20 yards. Consequently, I missed the kick-off, albeit by just a couple of minutes.

Whitstable Town will probably feel that they also missed the boat that would have serenely sailed them into the Final of the SCEFL Challenge Cup after conceding two late goals that at least keeps the tie alive for Lordswood.

The visitors backed by a, shall we say boisterous following, took a seventh minute lead after Ricky Freeman’s shot was turned behind by Ryan Chandler, Josh Burchell’s corner was delivered to the back post to the head of Sean Welford who returned it to the centre for Rob Gillman to head home.

The traffic was very much one way as Whitstable struck a post before finally going two in front after 21 minutes. Following another Burchell corner, the ball rebounded off a post to Gillman who blasted home from close range.

Six minutes into the second half, with Lordswood having barely threatened, Whitstable went three up when Freeman looped a header over Chandler following a long free kick to the far post.

The first hour had been a poor game as a contest but to give Lordswood credit, at least they responded to what appeared to be a hopeless situation. Dan Eason was asked to make his first save and ex-Tunbridge Wells favourite Tom Bryant shot over.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, Frank Griffin’s cross was not cleared by the Whitstable defence and Jordan Wells powered the loose ball past Eason from just inside the penalty area.

When Joe Kane scored in the 81st minute it was suddenly, and rather surprisingly, game on. A corner was headed on at the near post by Gary Cook and Kane headed in from close range.

Lordswood pressed for an equalising goal in the time that remained forcing several corners but they were unable to stretch Eason into anything more than a couple of comfortable saves.

No comments: